Monday, January 26, 2009

A bunch of sci-fi movies I can't wait to watch with my kids

Spurred on by a tweet by Ray Camden, I decided to put together a list of sci-fi / fantasy movies I can't wait to watch with my kids when they get old enough, as well as some great ones I have watched with them recently. They are 5 and 7, so no, we're not watching Alien! So, here's the 'waiting' list:

1. Blade Runner (probably my all time favorite movie)
2. 5th Element
3. 12 Monkeys
4. Legend
5. Dark City
6. 2001
7,8,9. All three LOTR's.
10. Planet of the Apes
11. Alien(s)
12. Pan's Labyrinth (maybe, it's pretty scary but it's on the appletv)

And the ones my wife has deemed 'acceptable'. Ok, some are a stretch in the genre...

1. Narnia
2. The Dark Crystal
3. The Goonies
4. Wall-e
4. Harry Potter 1,2 & 3. We decided 4 and 5 are too heavy
5. All 4 Indiana Jones
6. Of course all Star Wars, we watch the damn Clone Wars cartoon every freaking Saturday. God it SUCKS!
7. skinnyarms comment reminded me, we watched Tron recently. My kids really liked it, but were awfully confused by the 1980s concept of computers. Simon kept looking at my funny, and I know he was thinking, "you don't really make crazy stuff like that at work"!

Honorable non-sci-fi mention. We just watched The Wiz, that was very funny to watch with them!

So, what are you watching with yours?

6 Comments:

Blogger Joe Zack said...

TRON!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Tony Garcia said...

How about E.T.?

7:40 PM  
Blogger Paul Cormier said...

At 5 & 7, my kids loved the old stop-motion Sinbad movies .

9:16 AM  
Blogger Larry C. Lyons said...

Any of the Myazaki films are great, although Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away may be too intense for younger kids. That said, our 4 year old loves Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Shawn Holmes said...

Over the holidays I got my kids to watch The Princess Bride, and they loved it. Now that they are 10 and 11 (and have a pretty good sense of humor) they get a kick out of those old movies. Some more on our to-do list are:

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
Willow
Dragonslayer
Ghostbusters (though they may actually have already seen this...)
Back to the Future trilogy

I'm also pushing my son hard to sit down and watch either Rocky III or Rocky IV but he just doesn't seem too interested at this point. :(

8:27 AM  
Blogger Chris Scott said...

I can't believe I forgot Princess Bride! We have been watching it religiously, my kids love it (accept for all the kissing). I totally forgot about dragonslayer, that's a good one too.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home