Monday, September 26, 2005

ColdSpring, AOP and the Fusebox/Frameworks Conference

This weekend was one of those crazy weekends that your eyes and wrists hurt and the end of. On top of the kids waking up at all hours so I'm not even getting any sleep, I wrote just a ridiculous amount of code, and now I'm just staring at the work I'm supposed to be doing for my day job like it's in Russian or something. But it was super worth it, because I've got some big news for everyone. First off, for a while now I've been using Dave Ross's ColdSpring CFC container in a big project I'm working on, which kind of lead me to work on ColdSpring. A lot of work was done this weekend merging code with the current version, and that was honestly an exiting experience. I've never before worked with another developer who I see completely eye to eye with, it made me think a bit about pair programming / xp, if it actually is useful. Anybody who has any experience it, please share your experiences, I'd love to hear about it. Anyway, working on ColdSpring kind of lead me into doing a whole lot of work another big side project.

While talking with Dave about the types of things that can be brought into ColdSpring, I started thinking heavily about how the aop framework is used in Spring for Java, and the type of stuff we could build into ColdSpring if we had an aop (Aspect Oriented Programming) layer. So after a hell of a lot of thinking and completely unintelligible chicken scratch notes left around the house, driving my wife nuts when I want to know what happened to the menu with all the little boxes drawn on the back of it, I am very pleased to tell you that I have a functional aop framework to be released in the very near future, hopefully at the Frameworks Conference. I'm not going to go into great detail about what aop is and how it's used right now, I have some real tutorials coming. But I will be going to the Fusebox/Frameworks conference with Dave, where I guess we'll make the official announcement. I have some great examples that I've been bustin my butt to put together, maybe I should have started an example app before this past saturday? I'm looking forward to showing these at a BOF session at the conference, so look for Dave and me there!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really looking forward to seeing this in action, I agree that it will be an important presence in the cf world.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. You should look into rss for your site! ;-)

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul, all blogspot blogs have an RSS feed - if you were using Firefox or Safari, it would locate the feed automatically (or browse the site from your news reader).

To save you doing that, the RSS (Atom) feed is at this URL:

http://cdscott.blogspot.com/atom.xml

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home